Matthew27

OCR removing hyperlinked bookmarks

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

First ever post, so apologies if this has been asked elsewhere. 

I have a number of large pdf files from work. These are all image pdf, so I need to run OCR. The pdf has a hyperlinked index/contents page at the front, which allows me to navigate quickly through the pdf by clicking on the document name on the index. The contents page is also replicated in the bookmarks panel.

I have pro, so running OCR isn't a problem, and I have OCR working fine. The problem is that when I run the OCR, it removes the hyperlinked functionality of the index and removes the bookmarks (even if I don't include the index in the page range OCR performance). 

Is there any way I can avoid this? I don't want to have to choose between OCR and hyperlinked document. I want it all!

Hey Matthew, 

Welcome to our Community, we're happy to have you here! 

I have found that if we utilize the custom settings under OCR, and DO NOT OCR the pages with hyperlinks attached to them, the hyperlinks will remain intact.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 3.21.58 PM.png

For example, if your links are on page one, and they link to pages 2-5, as long as you OCR from page 6 onwards, the hyperlinks will work. Of course, this convenience is not always the case. If you would like to send me a version of your document and see what else we can do to make your process more efficient, feel free to send the file at rebeccac@wondershare.com.

Best,

Rebecca

I can't send the document to you due to confidentiality. I have tried the approach you mentioned, but I need to use the OCR on the papers with the hyperlinks. To use your example numbers, the hyperlinks are on page 1 (the index) and I need to OCR pages 2-5 and 6 onwards.I'm assuming this cannot be avoided?

Hi  Matthew,

I am afraid that in some cases, the hyperlinks can be kept after performing OCR while for other cases, the hyperlinks might get lost. It has much to do with the original document. 

To help us have a further analysis on your case, can you send us your document? And please do not worry, we never release or store any information from customers' file. The file will only be used for testing purpose, once we test it, we will delete the file from our system securely and permanently. So if it is ok, we do hope you can attach this failed PDF file in the email to send to us pdfelement@wondershare.com for further tests.

Thanks for your cooperation in advance.

Best Regards,

Heidi