• Announcements

• Daphne

Your Wishlist!   12/13/2017

htmlentities(

'Tis the season! Let the PDFelement team know what features and tools are on your wishlist by submitting your idea or voting for others here.

)
    • Daphne

New Year Gift!   12/25/2017

htmlentities(

We have prepared the gifts as the thanks to you, for more details, please click here . 

)
GinaParmesan

Disappearing instruction text

5 posts in this topic

I'm creating a fillable form. When I click Text Field Properties > Options, I can enter a default value that tells the PDF user what I want them to enter in the field. How do I make it so that a default value disappears automatically when the PDF user clicks into the field, and repopulates if the user clicks out of the field without deleting the text or entering anything? 

1 person likes this

I am also interested in this exact same issue you mentioned. I also noticed if I go in and want to change the default text, I assume it's a bug because the initial text I entered is stuck there. There is only a close option and not save.

1 person likes this

Hi GinaParmesan and Bridgette,

For the case, I recommend you to use the Tooltip function. After creating the fields as you want, you can double-click the field to open its properties window, then enter the notice that you want in the Tooltip box. 

图像 7.png

Then click the "Close Form Editing" button, when you hover your mouse over the field, you will get the tooltip directly, when you move the mouse click away or when you click the field to start filling out, then the tooltip will disappear.

图像 8.png

Hope this function can meet your needs.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply Daphne. Personally I don't think that is a solution. With the tooltip, the user only sees a blank area (in Apple Preview...in Acrobat, an empty blue box). Hovering over a blank area for instructions is not intuitive. Please send this request to your coding team: It would be great to have a checkbox that you select when you want default text to disappear if the user clicks into the field. Many thanks!

1 person likes this

Hi Gina,

Actually, Apple Preview does not meet the PDF ISO standards, so it is better not to use it to view or fill PDF forms. However I am sorry that Acrobat also has something wrong to view the tooltip, I have forwarded to our development team for further check, we will try the best to solve the not viewing tooltip issue.

Thanks