• Announcements

• Daphne

Your Wishlist!   12/13/2017

htmlentities(

'Tis the season! Let the PDFelement team know what features and tools are on your wishlist by submitting your idea or voting for others here.

)
    • Daphne

New Year Gift!   12/25/2017

htmlentities(

We have prepared the gifts as the thanks to you, for more details, please click here . 

)
ejwjohn

Tab Sequence Set Up

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am very new to this application so excuse the apparent simple questions

I am having a lot of difficulty in setting up the correct Tab sequence to allow a user to progress logically through a form, can someone point me to the documentaiton that explains how to do this please?

At present if i try to change the sequence by selecting a field the changes appear to be random.

Thx

John

Hi John,

After clicking the Set Tab Order button,  the default order number will show on the top left corner in purple box. By default, the tab order is the order of creating these fields and buttons. You can change to set the tab order as you want. So please click the fields or buttons one by one as the new order that you want. After clicking all of them, click the "Close Form Editing" button, fill in the field or button using the Tab key as the order that you set.

Thanks

Hello,

I have spent about 4 - 5 hours here today trying to resolve this Tab Sequence issue and i think i can honestly say you software is broken when it comes to being used on a MAC with 10.13 software

First of all where is the Close Form Editing Button??

Look at the attached screen shots, the fist is when i have inserted up to 7 fields and i added three more fields, but not in the order i wanted. note the Age field is set at 9 and i want it to be at 8.

See the second screen shot when i select the Age field to try and change it, and it moves to 1 and the first field, now becomes 9, and strange things like this keep on happening.

initial screen shot.png

After selecting the Age field.png

Hi John,

I am sorry that the Close Form Editing button is for the Windows version program, the Mac version program does not have this button.

For your situation, once you start to change the tab order, you need to click all these 10 fields one by one to reorder them all even though you only want to change one field order. For example, you do not want to change the order of your first 7 fields and only want to change the order of "Age" field, but you still need to click all the first 7 fields again one by one, if you click the field "Age" first, then it will be the first one in the new order.  So please start to click the first field from "Name of Yacht" to the last one "Age", in this way, all these 10 fields will have the same order as you click them.

Thanks

OK, Thanks...Progress.....

OK I have one strange situation in that i have a Check Box on the form, and it shows up as in the correct Tab Sequence, but when i Look at the From using Preview on the MAC, the tab will not identify the Check Box field, it selects all others, but not the Check Box.

Is this a known issue???

Thx

John

Hi John,

Please do not use Preview program, since it is not the professional program for PDF documents, it does not meet the PDF ISO standards and not support the advanced Form feature. You can try to use Adobe program to check the document again.

Thanks

You honestly want me to tell mac users they cannot use Preview to fill in a form???? that is totally unrealistic and not acceptable.

You are making it very difficult for me to continue using your software....

Hey John, 

Thanks for reaching out. I have read through your inquiries and I have forwarded your issues to our development team.

I wanted to clarify a few things for the other users who may read this thread:

1) "Close form editing" 

On the Windows version, there is a "close form editing button". On the Mac version, when you select the form features (eg. text box, check box), the button is highlighted to signal that it is in use. To close the function and close form editing, you simply select the button again to unhighlight it. 

2) While Preview doesn't meet the ISO standards, I agree with you in that it's super convenient to use - I use it all the time with the files I work on in PDFelement! I was surprised that the checkboxes didn't show up in the tabbing; I hope to get this issue fixed soon. In the meantime, you may open up the file in your internet browser and the checkboxes will work during the tabbing. I have included a short clip for you! 

CHECKLIST.mp4

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Rebecca

Hello,

Thank You for your responses.

However i have some further input in regard to reading and completing a form, created by PDF Elements, on browsers, for example Chrome, which is the most popular browser out there, this is what i have found:-

When you complete the form in Chrome, the very first field cannot be populated by any text, yes the cursor moves but nothing is displayed.

However the biggest issue, for me is that when you select Save Page as... the saved page does NOT INCLUDE any of the field data. you get an empty form,,, the Print option works, but what a solution, we are trying to digitise the form and yet the most popular Browser does nto handle it correctly???

The Safari browser works fine and you can retain he form and all data if you Export as PDF

Firefox browser your cannot even open the PDF form

Back to PDF readers, Acrobat 9 , which is the latest i have on the mac, you can open it, but Acrobat displays a warning that none of the text can be saved....

Not doing too well are we.?

Hello,

An update to me last post..

Adobe Reader DC, the latest version that is available, are problematic on latest version of MAC OSX system software, however i have access to an oder MAC and on there the Reader works fine and if i try to read and complete my form that i created with PDF elements 6 it seems to work fine.

However for the Windows environment i cannot comment i use windows 10 also on a machine and there the latest version of Acrobat DC will not even install.

Apologies, if this thread is moving of subject, but it sort of is related.

John

Hi John,

For your information that form functionality is the advanced feature of PDF format files, so the normal Preview program and browsers do not support well. Even though you use Adobe Acrobat program to create the fillable forms, then the form still cannot be filled by Preview or browser either, so this is not the issue with our program actually.

It is better to use a professional PDF program to fill in and save the form, such as our program or Adobe program. 

Thanks for your understanding

The reason that i am using PDF is so that people who are not experts in PC or Mac can download the PDF simply and fill it in simply.

PDF's are documents that allow portability,,, hence the name.... if you are trying to force inexperienced PC/MAC users to buy programs such as your then that defeats the purpose of PDF's surely.

You response is not acceptable.

Hi John,

Yes, I agree with you that PDF documents are portable. For the case, you can use Adobe Reader program to fill in the form and save it, it should support the form well. And Adobe Reader program is free of charge, we do not mean to force users to buy our program. You can use any free tool as long as it supports form feature and meet PDF ISO standards, then it will be no problem.

Thanks