• Announcements

• Daphne

Winners Announcement   09/18/2017

htmlentities(

Awesome! You guys just made around 48000 shares in our #AcrobatAlternative Event!!! Thank you so much for joining! Congratulations to our big prizes winners: @Colleen and @Anne Bastien !!! Click here to know more. 

)
    • Daphne

Official Release of version 6.3.0   09/19/2017

htmlentities(

We have released the new version 6.3.0 for both of Windows and Mac version program PDFelement 6 Professional! The Windows version program supports XFA files, PDF attachments and multi-tiled screen,etc. Start your experience now: https://pdf.wondershare.com/

)
savvy1

Actions for Form Fields

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the actions capabilities for the form fields? I'm wanting to set a trigger that doesn't appear to be available in the list of options, and I'm wondering if there is a way around it.

I've created a check box and, when checked, I would like it to hide one field and show another.  I set it up using the "mouse enter" and "mouse exit" triggers with a few "show/hide a field" actions to give it a try:

• When the mouse enters the checkbox/hovers over it, my form shows Field 1 and hides Field 2
  • When the mouse exits the checkbox/stops hovering over it, my form shows Field 2 and hides Field 1

However, I want it to use these actions when the check box is checked/unchecked (not when the mouse enters/exits).  Is there any way to accomplish this?  I don't really understand the meaning of the mouse up/down and blur/focus triggers, so perhaps I'm just missing an obvious solution.  Is there software documentation somewhere that explains how to use the triggers/actions?

EDIT: I found the User Guide, and read through PDF Forms>Form Properties, but there really isn't much help there.

Edited by savvy1
update

I've just realized that I should have posted this in the Product Features forum.  My mistake.  I'm not seeing an option to shift my post over to another forum, so I suppose I'll let it sit here until a moderator comes 'round to sort me out.  Sorry about that!

1 person likes this

Hi @savvy1,  

No worries, I have moved this thread to "PDF Forms"!

Just clarifying, what you're saying is that in a checkbox question, when Option A is checked, you would like Option B, C, and D to automatically be hidden? When you say "field", do you mean the checkbox, or the text box with the options in it? 

If you could send me the file that you're working on and put some arrows of what you're picturing that would be extremely helpful! 

Thanks,

Rebecca

Posted (edited)

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for moving my post!  The file I'm working with belongs to an organization and I'm not sure I have permission to share it in its entirety, although it's really nothing special.  I've attached a screen shot, which may help explain what I'm trying to do.  When I say "field," I'm talking about text fields, not the checkbox.

Here's the [somewhat long-winded] situation: There are four fields in my form for numeric values to be entered.  I have a "total" field that automatically calculates the total of all four entries.  However, if more entries are needed, they are to be listed on a separate page (which is not actually a part of the form: there are simply instructions to add an additional page when submitting the form).  Unfortunately, the "total" field can't be manually edited, meaning that it will only show the total of the four numbers listed on the form.  If someone has an additional two entries on a separate sheet, they need to be able to manually type in the total so that it includes all 6 entries.

Logic says, "just make more entry fields" or "add a second page to the form for more entries."  However, the need for more than four entries is uncommon enough that it doesn't warrant either of those solutions.  The document is already full, leaving no room for additional entry lines.  A second page would just be extra paper when printed, considering the majority of submitted forms will not need it.

The solution I've come up with is to create two fields for the total: one as a standard text field to manually enter the total, the other as an auto-calculated field.  My goal was to set up a check box, which would trigger which one of two fields shows up on the total line.  When the box is checked (meaning there are additional entries that necessitate a manual calculation), I want Field 1 (the text field) to show.  When the box is unchecked (meaning there are no additional entries), I want Field 2 (the calculated field) to show.

Alternatively, I could use a drop-down menu with the options of "yes" and "no": If "yes," then Field 1 (text field) shows.  If "no," then Field 2 (calculated field) shows.

I don't have a preference if it is a check box or a drop-down menu, but either way I can't figure out which trigger to use.  As stated in my first post, I've managed to get it to work with actions associated with the Mouse Enter/Exit triggers for a check box.  However, I don't know how to make the actual checking/unchecking of the box (or the choice from a drop-down menu) the trigger.

Screenshot (10).png

Edited by savvy1

Hi Savvy1,

No problem, thanks for the detailed response!

No worries, that is completely understandable, what you have attached here is great. So just to reiterate what you just said, Option A would be to type in your amounts in the four boxes and have it auto-calculate the total. Option B would be to allow the user to add more options on a separate page and manually type in the total. So if they select A, they can proceed, whereas if they select option B they would need to do the extra steps. 

Here are a few thoughts that come to mind:

I don't believe we have the specific action that you are looking for. However you can try the following:

1) There is the option to add a separate page at the end of the document, and make a note to tell clients NOT to print the last page if they don't need it. But I understand that customers may not see that. There is an option to add a trigger to lead them directly to the last page when they click on it.

2) Shorten the lines on the 'description' part so you can have two sets of description/costs so you can fit extra options on the same page. Or you can shrink the boxes so the font will type out smaller.

3) In the "combo box/drop box" option, under the "options" and "calculate" tabs, you're able to set it so that aside from "yes" and "no", you can let users input values and set the formula for the numbers to add up. Not sure if this would be useful in any way but you seem pretty creative so I just wanted to let you know about this function just in case you haven't seen it yet.

I will do my best to think up other alternative solutions. Let me know what you decide on!  

In terms of what the triggers do:

You've figured out exit/enter. 

Mouse Up/down does the same thing, just lets you check the boxes which will trigger an action.

Blur/Focus is hard to explain over text but essentially has to do with clicking outside the box first, then clicking in, which will trigger the action. 

Thanks,

Rebecca

1 person likes this

Hi Savvy1,

I think the only way is running a Javascript to check the checking/unchecking status of the box. But we cannot support it in the current PDFelement version. We will consider your requirements and try our best to solve it.

Thanks for your feedback!

1 person likes this