• Announcements

• Daphne

Your Wishlist!   12/13/2017

htmlentities(

'Tis the season! Let the PDFelement team know what features and tools are on your wishlist by submitting your idea or voting for others here.

)
    • Daphne

New Year Gift!   12/25/2017

htmlentities(

We have prepared the gifts as the thanks to you, for more details, please click here . 

)
Daphne

Create Form Fields with Arithmetic Calculation

7 posts in this topic

The form feature in program PDFelement 6 Pro can help you set the calculation, so you just need to enter the data/number as you need, it will help you to calculate automatically to save your time. 

1) Add the text fields for all the places that you need to enter the numbers by clicking the Form>Text Fields button.

calculate1.png

2) Right-click the field that you want to set calculation to choose Properties.

calculate2.png

3) In the Calculate tab, please choose the option of "Value is the ... of the following fields", and choose the correct arithmetic that you want.

calculate3.png

4) Click the Pick button to choose the fields that you need to calculate, like this.

calculate4.png

5) So the text field 3= text field1 x text feild2. When you enter 2 in field1, enter 3 in field2, you will get 6 in field3 automatically.

calculate5.png

Thanks, but this is very basic arithmetic.

How to calculate percentage ?

For example, I have to build a form with 3 fields : net price, tax percentage and tax amount

Tax amount is the tax percentage applied to net price.

How to do that ?

Thanks again 

Bernard

Hey Bernard,  

You can double click to access the properties, then go into the "format" tab. You'll be able to select "percentage" and set the amount of decimals that would appear. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 4.48.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-20 at 4.48.45 PM.png

Make sure you click on the last box and select that you want "text box 3" to be the product of "text box 1" and "text box 2". The result will look like this: 

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 4.48.51 PM.png

If you want the last box to be the TOTAL AMOUNT that the client would owe, you can make an extra box to calculate the sum of 1 and 3: 

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 4.54.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-20 at 4.54.35 PM.png

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca,

calculation is ok, but I have to key 0.1 in the tax field and then '10%' is displayed.

Did I miss something ? I would like to key 10 in the tax field, not 0.1.

Regards

Bernard

Hey Bernard, 

No problem! Happy to help. 

You're correct, the system recognizes the numbers as they are, if that makes sense. So you would have to key in 0.10, which is 10%. I'll make a note to the development team to take a look and see what they can do about this in future updates. 

Are you worried that clients would be confused and fill in the form incorrectly?

Best,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

I would like to type 10 for 10% and display 10 (no % symbol) in a field defined as a number.

The issue is that PDF Elements does not allow to have a calculation based on a script (Adobe Acrobat do it) and for this reason percentage calculation is more complex.

However, I could do it differently.

Now another issue is cascading calculation, and the solution is more complex in PDF Elements as it is not possible to create document level scripts, as far as I know.

The issue is this :

A1 = B1 x C1

A2 = B2 x C2

D = A1 + A2

When I change the value of C1 in the form, A1 is changed, but D is not. How to do this ?

And finally, how to display a field defined as a number and having value 0 not as 0.00 but as '        '  ?

Thanks,

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

Hi Bernard,

1) I am sorry that the program cannot recognize it automatically to be 10% when you just enter the number of 10. You need to enter the correct value of 0.1 so that it can change to the equal value of 10%. However, I have forwarded your suggestion to our development team for further consideration.

2) I am sorry our program  does not support scripts. Could you please attach this failed PDF file here to send to me for further tests?

3) After setting the format to be number, you can change the decimal to be 0. In this way, the number you enter will have no decimal, so 0 will be 0 instead of 0.00.

no decimal.png

Thanks